Friday 20 November 2015

Francis Bacon



in conversation with Michel Archimbaud

"since the invention of photography, painting really has changed completely. We no longer have the same reasons for painting as before. The problem is that each generation has to find its own way of working. You see here in my studio, these are photographs scattered about the floor, all damaged. I've used them to paint portraits of friends, then kept them. It's easier for me to work from these records than from the people themselves; that way I can work alone and feel much freer." 

"The way people regard my work is not my problem, it's their problem. I don't paint for others, I paint for myself."

"I don't like da Vinci's Mona Lisa at all. I find that they're often boring works from which you get nothing. I find it hard to understand Duchamp's joke with the Mona Lisa. For me it's simply boring, and it's even more boring because it's so famous."

"MA: Do you reject any attempt to explain your work?"
"FB: Explaination doesn't seem necessary to me, either of painting or of other artistic fields. I don't believe it is possible to give an explanation of a poem or of a painting."

"The most important thing is to look at the painting, to read the poetry or listen to the music. Not in order to understand or to know about it but to feel something."

"my relationship with surrealism is a little complicated. I think that I've been influenced by what the movement represented in terms of revolt against the establishment, in politics, religion and the arts, but my pictures haven't really shown any direct influence."












No comments:

Post a Comment